Yllana embodies creativity
Yllana embodies creativity. Founded in 1991, the Company has grown and evolved over the years until it can today cover all facets of the wide world of entertainment. Whether it’s a new hit show playing to packed houses full of loyal fans at their Madrid theatre the Teatro Alfil; a touring company thrilling audiences with one of their classic shows at a major arts center in a cultural capital; or a one night industrial show wowing Volkswagen executives at their 50th anniversary — Yllana has it all covered.
Yllana is first and foremost an artists’ collective dedicated to the production, distribution and promotion of unique theatrical events. Its ethos is centered in mime and physical humor, that most universal form of expressing the human comedy that forms the essence and core of the theatrical experience. By dispensing with dialogue to reach the heart of Theatre, Yllana has been able to thrill and amuse audiences across the world. After 25 successful years of existence, Yllana is now a consolidated Company in the arts sector, yet unique in that it is still totally run by the Artists. It is not a Company that employs Artists to further its commercial ends, but rather a collective of Artists that employs a Company to bring their (and fellow artists’) work to many audiences worldwide. That is why Yllana still embodies creativity.
Yllana was born in 1991 as a physical comedy theatre company. Through gestures, sounds and genuine slapstick, Yllana creates its work out of the most common situations of everyday life, combining huge energy with wit and risk.
It exploits an irreverent sense of humor, ironic and interactive, producing the most spontaneous of laughs in the audience. Yllana finds in the onomatopoeic sounds and in gesture its natural form of expression, thus creating a surreal and delirious world where anything can happen.
From the first encounter of Yllana with the stage, it has produced thirty shows: ¡Muu! (1991), Glub, Glub (1994), 666 (1998), Hipo (1999), Rock and Clown (2000), Spingo (2001), Splash! (2002), Star Trip (2003), Los Mejores Sketches de Monty Python (2004), Olimplaff (2004), La Cantante Calva (2005), Buuu! (2006), PaGAGnini (2007), Musicall (2007), Brokers (2008), Zoo (2009), Sensormen (2010), ¡Muu! 2 (2011), The Hole (2011), Action Man (2012), Far West (2012), The Best Sketches of Monty Python (2013), Sinfònic Ara (2014), The Gagfather (2014), Chefs (2015), Yllana 25 (2016), The Primitals (2016), The Opera Locos (2018), Ben-Hur (2018) and Gag Movie (2018). These productions have been presented in 44 countries to over 3 million spectators.
The universal understanding of Yllana’s physical humor has allowed them to travel across the world to: Portugal, France, Greece, United Kingdom, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Turkey, Jordan, Morocco, Singapore, Canada, Mozambique, Brazil, Denmark, Argentina, Georgia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Colombia, Japan, China, Israel, Senegal, Andorra, Korea, United States and Norway.
Yllana’s productions took part in some of the most prestigious theatre festivals in the world, such as Festival d’Avignon, The Edinburgh Fringe Festival, The International Theatre Festival in Istanbul (Turkey), Juste Pour Rire Festival in Montreal (Canada), Ete de Quebec festival (Canada), Arts Festival in Singapore, Festival de Manizales (Colombia), European Theatre Festival of Grenoble (France), Mime Festival of Perigeux (France).
Moreover Yllana performed in some of the most famous venues/cities of the word: one month at La Cigalle (Paris) with 666, three months at the off broadway Minetta Lane Theatre (New York) with 666, one month at the New York Victory Theatre with PaGAGnini, one month at the Piccolo Teatro di Milano with PaGAGnini, one month at the Riverside Studios (London) with 666.
- Award “The Outstanding Drama” in the Guangzhou International Family Theatre Festival in Guangzhou (China). 2018.
- Key to the City of Caracas. The Primitals. 2017.
- XX Festival de Teatro “El Perol” of Carmona award. The Gagfather. 2015.
- Scene Award for Carreer de Yllana in the 39º Festival Internacional de Teatro Contemporáneo (FITC) “Lazarillo“ of Manzanares (Ciudad Real) 2013.
- Troubadour Award for Career of Yllana in the XIX Festival Castillo of Alcañiz 2012.
- Award Max for the performing arts 2012 a Best Musical for Avenue Q.
- Award for best direction for scenery for Avenue Q in the Premios Teatro Musical 2011.
- Award Max for the performing arts 2010 best children´s show for Zoo.
- Public Award in the Festival de Teatro de Chiclana (Cádiz) for Zoo 2010.
- Public Award for best Show of the Muestra Internacional of Teatro 2010 of Ribadavia (Orense) Zoo.
- Award Telón Chivas a la Iniciativa Teatral 2004.
- Award “Outstanding Unique Theatrical Event” in the Fringe Festival in New York (EE.UU.) for 666 2009.
- Award to the Millor Espectacle per votació popular de la 11a Mostra de Teatre de Santa Eugènia (Palma de Mallorca – España) for Brokers 2009.
- Public Award in the Festival de Teatro of Chiclana (Cádiz) for Brokers 2009.
- Moerser Comedy Prize 2009 in the International Comedy Arts Festival in Moers (Alemania for Pagagnini 2009.
- Award for Best Entertainment Opera, Operetta and Musical Comedy Theatre Rojas (Toledo) for Pagagnini 2009.
- Award for best show in the Fringe Festival (Edimburgo-Reino Unido), awarded by the editors of the newspaper THREE WEEKS for Pagagnini 2008.
- Public Choice Award of Festival Internacional Outono de Teatro (FIOT) en Carballo (a Coruña) for Brokers in 2008.
- Nacional Award of Theater “Antero Guardia” 2008 by the Ayuntamiento of Úbeda the history of the company.
- Award to the history of the company by Muestra Nacional of Teatro of Alfaro (La Rioja-España) 2008.
- Public Award by Festival Internacional of Teatro en la Calle de Villanueva de la Serena (Badajoz) for Brokers 2008.
- Public Award in the Festival de Teatro de Chiclana (Cádiz) for Olimplaff 2007.
- Best Show Festival de Fundao (Portugal) for Olimplaff 2006.
- Award Moerser of Comedy 2005 by Festival Internacional of Comedia de Moers (Alemania) to the group Yllana for their creativity.
- Special prize for the best idea and theatrical creativity Festival Internacional of the Risa de Casablanca (Marruecos) 2004.
- Award for the best Show in the Festival Internacional de la Risa de Casablanca (Marruecos) Splash 2004.
- Public Award at the International Festival Outono de Teatro (FIOT) in Carballo (A Coruña) for Rock & Clown 2001.
- Public Award at the Festival Internacional Outono de Teatro (FIOT) in Carballo (A Coruña) for Glub Glub 1997.
- Second Place Award United Slapstick in the Festival Europeo de la Comicidad of Frankfurt (Alemania) for Glub-Glub 1995.
- Courge D’Or of Toulouse (Francia) for Muu 1995.